Sunday, February 1, 2009

Two steps forward.....

and what feels like 14 steps back! The sleep issue bug has bitten once again and this time it sucks! The hardest thing about starting a blog in the middle of something is to know if you should spend hours and multiple post getting all the history of what got you here written down or just starting from where you are and trying to fill people in. I think I'll go for the later and see how it does.

A brief history about our son Colton. We adopted him when he was just turning 12 months old. Up till then he has spent 5.5 months in a hospital in Korea and the remainder of his time in Korea with his foster mom. He had never slept through the night in his entire life at the point we got him home. HE IS NOW 4 and still not sleeping through the night. Some nights are good and some are not so good but I have learned to function on getting only 2-3 hours of sleep at a time.

It has been a long haul but it looks like we have FINALLY gotten him to fall asleep as soon as we put him down---that alone is a miracle!! PRAISE GOD FOR SMALL STEPS!!! It use to be such an ordeal and took about 2 hours every night to get him to sleep which left my already tired body full exhausted. He would then sleep anywhere from 2-4 hours before getting up and coming into our room and me taking him back to his room and getting him to sleep once again. A good night would be me doing this twice a bad night is every 30-45 minutes from the time he first wakes up. I have tried co sleeping in his bed but he still wakes to see if I'm there no matter what and takes 10 to 20 minutes to get back to sleep. But like I said we are going on a full week of him falling asleep on his own so I was hopeful that he would soon be falling back to sleep when he wakes in the night.

But last night proved me wrong as he went down at 8:30 and was fast asleep in ten minutes but got up at 11:30 and every 43 minutes after that. I must have been so exhausted as he got up sometime around 3 or 4 am ( I was to tired to look at the clock to see what time it was) and had a hayday in the kitchen. He moved heavy dinning room chairs and drank out of all the dirty glasses I hadn't cleaned up then took one and tried to get into the fridge. At some point he droped the glass and it broke and then he walked through the broken glass and finally came and woke me to say he was THIRSTY and he had an ouwie!! I took him to bed and said no drinks but he cried and cried so I went to the kitchen and walked on the broken glass myself!! I wasn't expecting anything! Talk about a shock when I flipped on the light and saw the chairs and the broken glass! The good news is neither one of us hurt our feet on the glass. Colton got his water and I spent the next 30 minutes cleaning the kitchen.He was asleep when I went to bed and I thought he would stay that way but sure enough 20 minutes later he got up again. My dear hubby took pity on me and went and slept with him so I could get 45 minutes of sleep before the alarm went off to get ready for church.

Tonight I'm almost afraid to go to sleep for fear of what he would get into. His door is firmly shut so I'll hear if he gets up and I plan on sleeping with him for the rest of the night if he does get up but I"m praying he sleeps through the night just this once!!

The kitchen isn't cleaned as I took the day off after church but there is NO Glasses out--all doors are double locked and a drink is waiting for him next to the bed! Now if his daddy could please just not snore tonight I might get some sleep--lol!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment