Saturday, February 21, 2009

Potty Training and T-Ball

Now most people would not be putting those two things together but one has inspired the other here at the funny house--lol!!

One of the greatest joys of starting our family over is that we get the chance to do all the things we wanted to do with our first 4 but never had the resources. Hence I refer to the boys sometimes as our "do over kids"--we are doing over all the things we loved and excelled in as parents to our bio kids, but most of all improving on our mistakes. I find it odd that once we as parents finally get to the "finish line" of raising our kids and finally have the knowledge we lacked and so desperately needed when beginning our journey as parents we simply think we are done and that was all there was for us. I look around at so many great and wonderful people and think "WHY ARE YOU DONE PARENTING JUST BECAUSE YOUR KIDS GREW UP?" there are so many kids out there that need a mom and dad and so many MOMS AND DADS that have no kids that in my little simple mind I think why not do the obvious and adopt?!!!

Being a parent again after raising our other kids has been the greatest joy and is so much easier now. Yes the neiveness of our youth is gone but so is the uncertainty and the hopeless feelings that sometimes come when your 2 year old is having fit after fit and nothing you seem to do is stopping them. Being a senior parent means I fully understand that somethings in life are really just for a season and somethings are there because we allowed them to be and it's really us that needs to change and not the child. The confidence that comes from having done that makes up for the lack of energy--lol!!

So for my husband one thing he and I had wanted to experience but never got a chance to was T-BALL. Our son John-John wanted to play but we had NO MONEY for the fees plus John worked two and sometimes three jobs at a time back then so I could stay home and raise the kids. So many friends and family members told us to just "wait for the grandkids" and we could do all that we wanted to then but it really isn't the same. I had to much "PARENTING" left in me to sit back and just be a Nanna. So we took the plunge and signed both boys up for ball!! We may only make it for one season--who knows but at least we are getting the chance to try. I'm not one to want to dictate my schedule around someone elses and I love the freedom in getting to go and do what I want when I want so having to go to practice every week and knowing my weekends are already spoken for is going to be an adjustment but one I'm looking forward in doing. The funny thing is I think our son John-john was more excited than anyone about the T-ball--lol!!! He is loving watching his brothers do the things he never did--knowing that he is going to be right behind them doing those exact same things with his own son in just a few years.

So this left me with one option and that was biting the bullet and making myself potty train Braden. That boy is the poster child for stubbornness and has declared for many many months he wants NOTHING TO DO WITH TRAINING! Even though he will be 4 in just another month and a half he finds no shame in pull-ups, no candy worth the bribery, and perfectly happy to be in the "little boy class" at church because he is still in diapers. Even though he is mister independant in everything else I guess the boy has in someway LOVED being my baby for at least that part of his life. Of course I think having two neices and a nephew recently and seeing "momma " change those babies and give them all the attention has helped his desire to stay a baby just a little longer--lol!!!

The first day was just exactly like I had feared the most and wanted to avoid--lots of screaming NO and refusal to sit on the potty but after a day or two he seems to have desided the joy of being a big boy is worth it. I have a feeling I will get to post a praise report in as little as two weeks!! It will be sad to no longer have a baby in the house but I think by age 4 I should have let the boy grow up a little!

IN the mean time there are a few "other" little ones waiting for families that are tugging on my heart--just need a change of heart in my hubby and the house could be full of the pitter patter of little feet once again--lol!!!! God is always willing...just need the willing hubby.......

Untill then LET"S PLAY BALL!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Cool! We signed Cole up too so maybe we'll see you at the ball park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful! You must be one proud nanna. I agree that training kids doesn't stop after your kids are grown up! You get to be the cool nanna!

    http://www.pottytraininginfants.com/

    ReplyDelete