Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Vacation on the fly

Friday morning John called to say PACK THE BAGS HONEY WE ARE OUT OF HERE!!!-lol!! He has been wanting to go to Branson where his sister lives for some time now and the work stress was at it's all time high so a break was in order. All I could think when he first called was how often God wants us to be instant in season and out so I put aside my feelings about leaving town on a holiday weekend and heading to the vacation mecca for the tristate area and packed the bags.

To be truthful I DID NOT WANT TO GO--I have been feeling "off" in my physical body for so long and I'm having some inner ear disturbance, so the thought of going on all those windy, hilly,curves was not my idea of a great vacation but I knew how much John needed to get away so I put on my happy face and sucked it up. Life isn't supposed to be "all about me" but more about what can I do for others. I so wanted to say "what are you thinking man!! I can't even walk for more than a quarter mile without feeling like I'll fall down and you want to go to the "walking capital of the world" not to mention car sickness that has developed over the last few months and being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic." But it really isn't all about me.

We made it out the door before noon and pulled into my sister-in-loves house by three. She had moved into this house over 2 years ago and wanted us to come visit and see it but we just never had the money or time to get up there. I love my sister-in-love to pieces as we have a great relationship to the point that most people think we are the ones related as sisters and not John and her-lol!! Because she lives in Branson she can get tickets to shows and events at discounts-we are TALKING HUGE discounts--lol!! The only trouble was they don't sell tickets to locals until 30 minutes before the shows so there is a chance you won't get any--and on a holiday weekend it was darn near impossible--lol!! We made it to the chinese acrobats but left without taking any pictures of the boys with the performers! I cant believe this was our first real vacation with the boys and I didn't get a single picture of it at all--just goes to show that being an older mother sometimes means you FORGET things--lol!!! I did manage to do a little bit of shopping despite the fact that I felt sick and dizzy the whole time. John took the boys with our brother in law to the fish hatchery and they had a wonderful time and later that evening he and Pete went fishing which was the refreshing fun filled time John was seeking in the first place. I ate some shrimp on sunday lunch that didn't agree with me at all and showed how much it didn't agree with me while at an outlet mall--ugh!! My sister in love was a good sport about it though and we would run to a store take a quick peek inside and see if there was anything we wanted than go to the next restroom visit--we repeated this for about an hour when I discovered I had some pepto in my purse and after I took it and felt like it had kicked in we headed back to her house( there was no way I was leaving a working toilet to sit in bumper to bumper traffic without some relief.) of course we had a great laugh about all the "possible" hillbilly toilets we could fashion along the way home--lol!!! It really is wonderful to have someone who shares your since of humor when in a time of distress.

While John was out fishing on sunday evening I sent him a text and asked if we could go home when he got back even though they weren't coming home till after 10. He surprised me with saying YES!!!! So at 11:10 in the evening we loaded up the car and headed home!! Even though we got home at 2 .Am. I was so excited to be back home I had a hard time falling asleep--lol!!

Colton and Braden had a wonderful time playing with Uncle Pete and they held up well with all the car trips to the strip with the promise of going to the 'cowboy' show that we never got to see because it kept selling out before the "local" ticket time came around. Since Colton doesn't always pronounce words correctly we all got a kick out of him calling Uncle Pete -- Uncle PEE !!! Everyone waiting on the outside porch at Olive Garden let out a chuckle when he would run around saying Uncle PEE Uncle PEE!!!--lol!! We visited Janice and Pete's church on Sunday morning and the boys walked right in to the classroom like they owned the place -- this was the first time they had ever visited a different church and I was worried how they would do( the teacher didn't look to frazzled when we picked them up so I assume they did OK--lol!!)

After we got home my dear hubby admitted that the windy roads were "getting to him" and since he didn't have an inner ear issue it must have been "not fun" for me( AAAH YA THINK DEAR!!!!), he was glad when I texted him and asked if we could go home early and not wait till morning. All the way home I kept thanking him for taking me home and not making me wait till morning when all the vacation traffic heading home would be bumper to bumper.

Our vacation on the fly wasn't as fabulous as we had wanted but it meant the world to John for me to be willing to GO as he needed the break and it meant the world to me that he was willing to LEAVE when I felt like I couldn't take traveling home in heaving traffic with intestinal distress.

Next time we will plan things better when we are BOTH feeling great and there isn't a holiday that weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment