Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Forever a parent/Daddy the Hero!

When I was little I had this image of me growing up becoming and adult getting married and leading my own live independent of my parents--after all I was going to be the "grown up" Well for the most part that statement is true as I did grow up, became an adult and have lived independently from my parents for one little tiny part. That is the part in which I still need advice whether asked for or not--lol!! and most of all those little things like help with the kids, coming when I'm sick, taking me to the doctor when I couldn't drive myself and things like that.

When John and I became parents for the first time I realized in a very big way that I was NEVER going to stop being this babies mom---that even though my role in his life may change I was always going to be mom. Our role in the life of our four grown up kids have changed, after all they don't need me telling which socks match the outfit they are wearing or need me nagging at them to brush their teeth before bed but they still very much need us.

Last night John's cell phone rang at 2:30 in the morning--it was our son in love calling to say he just got off the phone with our daughter and she was home scared to death. Since he works the midnight shift there was nothing he could do for her, so her Daddy calls to see what the matter is. She doesn't answer which is unnerving to say the least so I call her." A" answers in a hysterical panic to the point that I think she is hyperventilating. I finally get out of her that she heard sirens and then the police telling someone to get out of the car and she thinks they are right in front of her house. now this might not sound so scary to the average person but she has never lived in the city and had to deal with being home alone with the thought of someone getting arrested right outside your window---with all the stories on TV about people running from the law and breaking into peoples homes it has her scared to be alone. She has made huge strides in this during the past year because she had a baby and now had someone at the house with her but just let her think someone could be milling around her house and the tears of fear start falling.

The funny thing is this is not the child that was afraid of the dark growing up nor is this the child that was very clingy as a young child. THIS IS OUR VERY STUBBORN and VERY INDEPENDENT child. The one that NEVER NEEDED HELP,NEVER ACCEPTED HELP and HAD TO DO THINGS FOR HERSELF ALL THE TIME!!! She was the one that made us pull our hair out at the end of the day because of her independence and stubbornness. At the same time she was also our child that had the most compassion for people and would bend over backwards to help someone else in need.

So when I talked to her and could hear the fear in her voice I knew she wasn't going to get over this with just a phone call. Then she asked if we could come get her and I knew she needed us to be "Mommy and Daddy" just one more time. Her dear Daddy who is still recovering from a hernia repair, not moving around all that well and still having a lot of pain laid there for about two minutes trying to see if she would calm down but then jumped out of bed,got dressed and drove to her house to "rescue" her and the baby and bring her back to our home where she could feel safe and secure. It seems "daddies" little girl is always going to be "daddies" little girl no matter how old she gets or how many kids she has for herself. And most of all Mom and Dad's house is always open for when they need that little bit of security that they had when they were a child and being with mom and dad made all things better.


Oh and I think this year for Christmas we are going to give out GERMAN SHEPHERDS--lol!! after all we old people need our sleep--lol!!

No comments:

Post a Comment