Tuesday, April 7, 2009

DEBT COLLECTORS!!

GRHH!!! They really make my skin crawl but at the same time I feel sorry for the ones who can only find a job trying to make my life miserable!

Let me just say that I have never hidden the fact that we are in debt and that we owe huge amounts in both medical and credit card bills. The credit card bills are not from large extravagant things--no diamonds, clothes, fancy toys you don't need but just simple everyday life things that we couldn't afford but needed and so we had to charge them until John got a job going and we could pay cash again for our necessities. We do OWE for them and are doing our best to pay them off. If we went to credit counseling they would tell us to file bankruptcy as that looks like the only solution but we are being faithful and God is working!

But try and tell that to the people that start calling me at 8:01 AM every morning and don't stop until 9 at night!!! It's not the Sears card or the master card but a card that I won't name as I don't want them getting any free advertisement even if it's negative-lol!!!

There are laws about credit collection and what they can and can not do--including how often they call but many KNOW THAT THE AVERAGE PERSON DOESN'T KNOW THE LAWS and so they just do as the please. This harassment is ILLEGAL but they don't care-- they do it anyway. We have made arrangement to pay our creditors a certain amount and do so every month but because we are self employed the money isn't always there on the EXACT DAY the credit card company wants it so they start their calling that last ALL DAY LONG.

BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH so I started fighting back---see the card that is calling is NOT IN MY NAME and therefore I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT but they still ask to speak with me after they first ask for my hubby and find out he is at work. They call every morning and I tell them every morning that he leaves the house at 6:30 and returns between 5-6 every night but they still call every two hours on the hour to ask for him. SO If I say he is at work they ask for his spouse then TELL ME THEY ARE RECORDING OUR CONVERSATION and want to go on and on about how my hubby is being late every month. The MAN IS WORKING HARD AND IS PAYING THEM JUST NOT ON THE DAY THEY WANT!!! And yesterday I had enough!!!!!!! The third person that called me that day for the exact same card started in on the same ole same ole stuff and as soon as he said "THIS CALL WILL BE RECORDED" in his intimidating voice I said "GOOD AS I"M GOING TO RECORD IT ON MY END SO BOTH THE RECORDINGS MATCH" then I hit the record button on my answer machine and instead of them trying to tell me what a low life my husband was for not paying his bill they only said "OH I CAN"T ALLOW YOU TO RECORD --I"M JUST TRYING TO FIND OUT WHEN I CAN CALL BACK!"-- I never laughed so hard as they were scrambling to hang up and they NEVER CALLED BACK UNTIL THIS MORNING!! And you guessed it from now on I just say I'm recording them too and they HANG UP ON ME!!!

So until the card is paid off or they get the message to STOP HASSLING ME I will be answering my phone like this: "Good morning/afternoon/evening this is Anita and I hope you are having a blessed day, I'm recording all calls today and want you to know before you say anything so how can I help you today!!" I will then hit the record or even just the star button to make the bleep so if you call that is what you can expect!! Not trying to be rude just tired of being hassled all day long

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! I'm so sorry Anita...good for you for finding a way to play hard ball, right back! They get bonuses if they can "make a deal" with you to close out the debt in most circumstances. One of my sisters is a debt collector, and I don't envy her job at all...but she has to take care of her son, and it pays the bills. She is a third party collector and gets called every name in the book on a hourly basis. It's just a raunchy job...period. Hugs to you, keep your eye on the prize...DEBT FREE, BABY!!

    ReplyDelete